Get More Bang For Your Whisky Dollar

I did not think of this idea as it was in this quarters Whisky Advocate, however I thought it was a great idea and I also thought I could do a better job.

The task? Buy a nice selection of American Whisky’s as possible for a hundred dollars or less. I will not list the ones in the original article and if you want to see them you will need to pick up a copy of this publication.

So without further ado, here is how I allocated the Benjamin.*


My first choice, which I am sure comes as no surprise was Four Roses Yellow Label as this is the official Bourbon of MySideOfTheBar . I picked up a bottle for $14.00

Next I wanted to include a Rye and as I keep Old Overholt as part of my Whisky Rolling Stock it was an easy selection especially at $10.00

I wanted to include at least one mid-priced selection and I used to carry 1792 Ridgemount Reserve as my “go to” Bourbon so I picked up a bottle for $26.00 I realize I could have included Four Roses Small Batch here, but I wanted to give my “tens” of readers another option.

I also wanted to have one small distillery selection as I have been pleasantly surprised at the quality coming from all the new (and some older) small operations. So I selected Cedar Ridge Iowa Bourbon Whiskey for $36.00

Now if you are doing the math as you read you will see that I was up to $86.00 and left me with a small amount and a decision to make. I could either change my selections and spend more in another area or try to pick another selection for fourteen dollars or less.

I went with adding another selection and decided to go with a Whisky I had not tried before. After browsing the displays at one of the local liquor stores (more on this in another blog) I choose Most Wanted Whiskey from High Plains Distillery located in Atchison KS. I had wanted to try this brand for sometime so at $12.00 it seemed as good a time as any.

So there you have it five good to great Whisky’s for under $100.00

Now get shopping

Cheers
The Professor

Look for reviews of the above coming soon to a blog near you.
Also I plan on similar posts on Gin, Scotch, Vodka etc. so if you have some favorites drop me a note so I can sample.

*All prices in U.S. Dollars

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Riding the Rails, Clickety Clack

Cigar Infusion

The Key West Cocktail Challenge