The Hot Toddy

I ran this a few years back, however given the weather here in K.C. I thought it was worth posting again.

The Hot Toddy

Well seeing that cold and flu season seems to be upon us here in the Midwest and indeed I feel it a little more than most this week as I caught (or it caught me) my first cold in almost two years. That being said I thought it would be a good time to blog on The Hot Toddy! (And not you T.B. (the second most interesting man in the world))

According to Wikipedia a Hot Toddy is a mixed drink, usually including alcohol (duh!), that is served hot.

While that may seem elementary to you I remember a day years ago in my youth when I had an August sore throat and cold. I was looking for a remedy and remembered a friend who would know the answer. I called Joe Heinen Sr. I always called him Mr. Heinen and I will never forget when he answered the phone it sounded like I had just woke him from a nap. Once he knew it was me he cheerfully gave me a recipe.

Hot Tea
Whiskey
Honey
Lemon

Well that was a miracle cure for sure and it works as well now as it did then.

Now for a couple of new ideas:

The Green Tea Hot Toddy:

The Green Tea Toddy
Honey to taste
Four Roses Bourbon to taste

I like using Green Tea as to me it has a better taste. Yes the color is much lighter and you could argue that it is not “tea” colored, but to each his own.

I like to get the water boiling hot which helps when you add the Whiskey to keep the Hot in Hot Toddy. I also like Honey as to me it is more of a good mix with the Bourbon than sugar or sweetener. I am also not a big fan of lemon, but add a squeeze if you like.

A couple of other ways to try a Hot Toddy would be to substitute any tea of choice for the green tea. Also you might enjoy substituting a Cheery or Honey Bourbon if you like the flavored Bourbons.

Hope the cooler weather finds you in great health, but if not try a Hot Toddy. Every time I have one I think of Mr. Heinen and think how much he is missed.

Cheers Mr. Heinen
The Professor

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cigar Infusion

Riding the Rails, Clickety Clack

The Key West Cocktail Challenge