The Classic Manhattan


Lately at my side of the bar I have been enjoying Manhattans. The only explanation I can think of is the I really enjoy the show Mad Men where they order Manhattans like water.

As the weather was very cold last weekend and we had a friend visiting I decided to try my hand at making Manhattans. This is my recipe thus far and not far from perfection.

2 OZ Bourbon (Substitute Whiskey of Choice)
1 OZ Sweet Vermouth
5 Dashes of Angostura Bitters
A Splash of 7 UP (diet for me)
Garnish with a Maraschino cherry

Muddle two Maraschino cherries in the shaker or pitcher.
Combine all ingredients in a shaker or pitcher and stir (do not shake)
Strain into a chilled martini glass or as I prefer a highball glass on the rocks.

The one area I believe I can improve is the vermouth and if you have a favorite let me know.

Cheers

Comments

  1. Martini Rosso Sweet Vermouth seems to be the standard, and rightly so...since it was the first vermouth, introduced in 1863.

    When I can find it (which also has to tie to "When I need" it), I prefer Cinzano Sweet Vermouth. I learned about it from my bartender friends in Germany.

    To me, better flavor and no aftertaste.

    In the end though...I usually stick to Dry Vermouths.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Riding the Rails, Clickety Clack

Cigar Infusion

The Key West Cocktail Challenge