What is a Cocktail?

I received this query from one of my faithful readers.



Dear Professor
I was sitting around a local bar the other night when I got into a heated debate with a fellow patron on what is the definition of a cocktail. Can you enlighten us?

Sign Barfly

Well Barfly the answer is simple and then again maybe not. I define a cocktail as an alcoholic beverage that meets the following criteria.

1. Base Spirit (Whiskey, Gin, Vodka, etc.)

2. A Modifier (Vermouth, Bitters even fruit juices, tonics or sodas)

3. An Enhancer (Bitters again work here along with a twist or other garnish)

A Manhattan or Gin Martini are great examples of a Cocktail.

Manhattan
Base - Rye or Bourbon
Modifier - Sweet Vermouth
Enhancer - Bitters and a Twist

Now for the other types of drinks (Highballs for example) you generally see two types of ingredients.

Whiskey and Cola
Scotch and Soda
Rum and Cola

I like to call these types of drinks "emergencies." Now don't get me wrong I drink a lot (I mean a lot) of emergencies and really enjoy them, however there is nothing fancy about them and not what most consider a cocktail.

So Barfly there you have it and really not worth a heated discussion, simply sit back relax and enjoy your Cocktail or Emergency.

Cheers
The Professor

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cigar Infusion

Riding the Rails, Clickety Clack

The Key West Cocktail Challenge