SOA



As you, my loyal readers know I do not watch much TV as I prefer to listen to music during the day. (Lifehouse on as I type). That is until recently when I purchased a TV with internet capabilities and apps on the TV to access various sites. One such site was Amazon Prime Video to which I have subscribed for years, but never used the video portion.


Given the cold winter here in K.C. I guess I was getting a little cabin fever so I opted to explore my options.


This membership/app allows you to access thousands of TV Shows and Movies. I was browsing the different options and ran across a show that I had heard much about, but had never seen. That show was Sons of Anarchy (2008 to present FX Network). 




The show is  about the lives of a close-knit outlaw motorcycle club operating in Charming, a fictional town in California's Central Valley. The show centers on protagonist Jackson "Jax" Teller (Charlie Hunnam), the then–vice president of the club, who begins questioning the club and himself.

What is strange to me about this show and it’s content is that the characters and plot go against everything I have always believe in. I have always obeyed the laws and have long been discussed by those who choose to break them. So why then do I find myself (as others must given the ratings of the show) cheering for the “bad boys (and girls)”.


Well my only answer is this; when a show or book has excellent character development, writing and story lines you get caught up in the characters as you see, however small it may be, a piece of you in all the characters.



Of course it also may have something to do with all the hot women (Katy Sagal has always been one of my favorites since her Peg Bundy days on “Married With Children”) or perhaps it is the Cigar Smoking guy you love to hate, Clay played by Ron Perlman.




Speaking of the sticks as those who watch the show Clay is seen smoking a Cigar in many of the episodes so I had to research just exactly what it was he was smoking. Turns out Ron Perlman has been smoking Cigars for many years and was recently featured both on the Cover and an article in Cigar Aficionado.


Ron’s personal Cigar of choice is the Hoyo de Monterrey Double Corona and the stick he is often seen puffing on the show is the Joya de Nicaragua Gran Consul. Both sticks were recently added to my personal humidor so look for a review here in the near future.
 





Now oddly enough Twentieth Century Fox has recently teamed with Meir and Dutch Cigar Distributors to release a line of S.O.A. sticks (along with various other accessories). The sticks are As for the blend, the Sons of Anarchy line is an extension of the Black Crown brand, a cigar line owned and distributed by Meier & Dutch. They're made in Honduras at the S.T. Danlí factory (formerly known as HATSA) and feature a sun-grown, Ecuadoran Sumatra wrapper, Nicaraguan Criollo '98 binder and hearty Nicaraguan filler.


I also have some of these to test out and post the results on.

So I guess I enjoy this show for various reasons, not the least of which could be to fuel the bad boy in me while I smoke a good cigar or enjoy a Bourbon on a cold winter day.

 




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cigar Infusion

Riding the Rails, Clickety Clack

The Key West Cocktail Challenge